Saturday 1 November 2008

Ratatouille

This is the 2007 Disney Pixar film, directed by Brad Bird. For those of you under a rock with wi-fi, it is about a rat named Remy, who has dreams of being a top chef, inspired by Chef Gusteau's book "Anyone Can Cook".

When Remy arrives in Paris, he discovers that he is living directly opposite Gusteau's restaurant, which is now run by the sinister Chef Skinner. He ends up in the kitchen, trying to fix a dish that the garbage-boy, Linguini, has ruined, and is chased out by the kitchen staff. When the dish is tasted, everyone loves it, and lavishes the praise on Linguini.

So the story unfolds with Linguini housing Remy under his chef hat, telling him how to cook, and Linguini quickly rises to the top of the culinary game.

To go any further is unnecessary, and could sort of ruin the movie.

Essentially, this is a fantastic film. I was very sceptical going in to it, because of the fact that it's one of those that everyone says is a kids film that's for adults and all that shit, which I generally dislike. I always get the impression that grown up people say they like these films to be a bit off-centre and kooky. But, I hold my hands up and say I was wrong. This is probably the best film I've watched since The Dark Knight, and I probably enjoyed it more.

I'd recommend this to anyone, it's great. It'll leave a huge smile on your face, and you'll want to watch it again and again.

Genius.

No comments: