Tuesday 1 December 2009

Films I like

I've decided that I like happy films. Just thinking of films we have watched in lectures recently:

Blow-Up: I hated this. It wasn't necessarily unhappy, but it was quite glum. And very "take me seriously, for I am a film".

Veronica Guerin: She dies. Enough said. Miserable. And boring.

The Third Man: Funny and clever. Not a happy ending, but bouncy enough to enjoy.

To Die For: Again, not a happy ending, but a sunshiney film.

The Devil Wears Prada: What's not to like? Funny AND a happy ending.

I do not like miserable, dour films. Even if it is very offbeat comedy that is really just poking fun at how crap life is, that's good enough for me.

So, no more Haneke for me. I will be filling my life with the remaining Disney films I have yet to see. Not quite, but I feel like I would be a much happier person if I didn't immerse myself in desperately miserable, serious films.

I was going to watch Grave of the Fireflies, but I don't want to cry for the next two hours, I want to enjoy something. That is what films should do. Fuck misery, bring on the smiles!

No comments: